[plug] Wiped partition table (was: panic)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Jan 5 14:31:07 WST 2001

Dennis Plester wrote:

> Mike wrote "
>> so your partiton table was wiped? Windows has been known to do that.

 > I don't think it had wiped the partition table. If it did, not
 > completely, as windows was still working and booting off LILO
 > after my Linux went haywire.

Actually, ``through a baling machine'' would be more accurate than
``haywire.'' What actually happens is that your extended partitions
linked list gets destroyed. Primary partitions (such as Windows) should
be fine. The kernel is loaded by LILO directly (no file system yet), and
would get just as far if you removed the partition table completely.

--
If you still want to do this in light of the above disadvantages, the
method is left as an exercise to the reader.  It'll void your Apache