[plug] wvdial problems

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Fri Jan 5 23:32:33 WST 2001

> > So far, so good. What does e/tc/resolv.conf have in it while you're
> > dialled? Can you ping by numbers, e.g. 130.139.89.1 (Telstra's main node
> > in Perth)? If not, what does traceroute -n to that number show?
>
> ummm.... i tried pinging external sites but ping doesn't even reply....
now
> i'm back on the windows comp or else i won't be able to type this.... i
have
> no idea what resolv.conf has it in.... should i check it now ?  when i had
> look at the LEDs on the modem it did not seem to blink at all when I tried
> to do pings and ran net apps....

Just a guess here, but I suspect you've tried to ping an address (such as
www.yahoo.com).  Try pinging an IP number from the command prompt like this:
$ ping 130.139.89.1

The suspicion is that your name resolution is not working and if you can
ping with the IP number and not the address, then this is the case.  If so,
look into 'named' or check out your HOWTO docs on caching-only name service
(probably /usr/doc/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO in section 3).

- Brian.