[plug] wvdial problems

Joshua Pierre alpha at indigo.net.au
Sat Jan 6 09:58:07 WST 2001

> Ummm....it's RH6.0

First problem (Just kidding :)

> Some other issues that might help: I had a look at the linuxconf utility and
> under host configuration it had only one adaptor [my ethernet card eth0]
> enabled.  Adaptor 2 is empty....I'm assuming that this is unlike windows
> which requires a dialup adapter for ppp-dialup networking...well, i just
> left it as it is...and please correct me if i'm wrong on this one.

Don't suppose you recompiled your kernel and left out some ppp support like ppp async and things as such.

> I went to the next option in linuxconf and it had checked the option "DNS is
> required for normal operation" however it was pointing to a non-existent IP
> [192.168.0.254] on my LAN.  Perhaps this could be the culprit and so I
> turned it off and remove the DNS entry altogether.

Yep, good idea :)

You could also try putting in dingoblue's dns servers which are:

203.2.75.132 &  203.2.75.108

> Next, the "Default Gateway" entry was pointing to 192.168.0.1 which is a
> windows pc on my LAN that is not connected to the modem [the only way I get
> online]. Also "Enable routing" has been unchecked.

More good initiative.

> Under Routed daemon configuration it has "Silent" checked and "Export your
> default route" unchecked.

This is only useful if you have multiple routes which I doubt you have on a dialup.

> Under Host name search path "Multiple IPs for one host" has been checked
> with "hosts,dns" being the option selected.

No problem there.

All I can really suggest is looking at your kernel logs and syslog which are ound in /var/log/ and seeing if there are any ppp failures. Also check to see you are getting an IP etc..

- Josh

Joshua Pierre                           jpierre at themes.org
Site Maintainer                      http://gtk.themes.org