[plug] VMWare and LILO configuration

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 7 21:30:25 WST 2001

> Can anyone recommend a better LILO and/or VMWare configuration? I prefer that
> VMWare not to prompt me for the guest OS. I plan to install other Guest OSs on
> other HD (/dev/hdb). How will the "boot" directive in lilo.conf, direct to the
> other guest OSs on /dev/hdb1 or /dev/hdb2 etc?

Yep, no problem.  Tell vmware to give the virtual machine "no access" to
partition /dev/hda0 (ie. the MBR).  That way, the virtual machine won't
even know the MBR is there, and it will use the boot record of /dev/hda5
instead.  All you need to do is make sure you have a Windows 98 boot
sector located on /dev/hda5.

--
Independent consulting solicitor* | _ .__ ._ _    |\/| _.| _ _ |._ _
and technology consultant.**    \_|(/_|(/_| | |\/ |  |(_||(_(_)|| | |
* http://www.ilaw.com.au ** http://www.terminus.net.au jm at ilaw.com.au