[plug] unsubscribe

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 8 11:53:53 WST 2001

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Having *never* read the instructions, I would do this:
>
> --------8<----cut-here----8<-------
> To: plug-request at plug.linux.org.au
>
> unsubscribe
> --------8<----cut-here----8<-------

As long as you're subscribed to a majordomo list and not an ezmlm one or
any other kind of list.  It seems perfectly obvious to me too but after
using various mailing lists for $years who's to say what's obvious and
what's not to a new user.

> If something like a drivers' licence was required to participate, the
> Internet would be a much more sensible (and sparse, e.g. 90% of AOL
> would go offline tomorrow, and certain individuals would frequently get
> into trouble for arguing with the rules) place.

This will sound elitist but if mailing lists were harder to subscribe to
in the first place it would also help, ie, if instead of just having to
hit the reply button you had to read the entire text of the confirmation
mail and perform a certain action such as changing the To: address or
adding a keyword to the subject you'd at least guarantee the members on
your lists could read and follow minimal english which would straight
away make you better off than 90% of lists out there.

As for the license thing, cute, but I'm guessing it would've been
sub-contracted to Microsoft by now and be an extension of the
registration code on your Windows $version Cd :-).  If memory serves I
think there actually was a survey a while back where 60% of respondents
said it would be better if Microsoft "controlled" the internet.

Steve
--
FreeBSD maestro.dhis.org 3.4-STABLE i386
11:30AM  up 6 days, 13:14, 3 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00