[plug] newbie list

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Mon Jan 8 13:27:24 WST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <scott at bizzpro.com.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Monday, 8 January 2001 12:49
Subject: [plug] newbie list

chris at linuxwa.com.au
> (the owner) has donated the use of linuxwa.com.au to it.
> The idea is basically plug-newbie at linuxwa.com.au or
> plug-howto at linuxwa.com.au.
> All "stupid" questions could be redirected to this list where people won't
> have to be afraid to actually ask a question and won't have to apologise
if
> it is too easy. I gather the original idea was to encourage people to get
> into linux i think that ideal has been lost along the way, now the list is
> only for professionals or for people with very strong opinions.
>
> Comments please.
>
> The cooperation of the main plug list would be very beneficial.
>
> Scott

Personally, I don't think many people here have a problem with 'stupid'
questions.  Most pluggers just seem to get uptight when the poster has a
'post-first, look-for-myself later' type attitude.  If the newbie posts a
question like "i've read this, looked there, but still don't know WTF to
do", or "the man page doesn't make sense to me" they normally get a helpful
response.

Having said that, people here can be rude.  I posted an answer to a question
some time ago, which basically said "This tool will do what you want" and
then I was pasted for getting (minor) details of the implementation slightly
wrong.  I had only done it once myself, 12 months previously, and was
answering from memory.  The error itself would have become apparent to the
original poster when he started to implement it himself.  Anyway, instead of
a polite message pointing out the error, the reply started with 'Bzzzzzzzt'
.  Not a good way to encourage people to contribute.  Maybe that's why we
only ever see response from a small group.

Time now to paste me for using Outlook Express, whilst at the same time
spouting about 'Freedom of Choice'.

Steve