[plug] EQL

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Jan 8 17:27:18 WST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Shane Spina wrote:

> firstly what is IIRC

If I Recall Correctly.  It's been a loooong time since I succesfully set
up an EQL link

> > 1. ifconfig eql to the same IP address etc (and mtu) as the pppN devices
>
> on the server side is it still pppN or is it ttySN if a serial modem?

tty's (and serial ports) don't have IP addresses, "devices" do.

(by device I mean anything you can ifconfig)

> > 3. change the routing table so you send traffic via the eql device rather
> >    than the pppN devices.
>
> I assume this is client side?

on BOTH sides.

on the client side you would tell pppd not to add a default route (don't
give it the defaultroute option) and then type

route add default dev eql

on the server side you would delete the routes for the client's network
(or IP address if you are only serving one machine) that use ppp devices
and add those routes to dev eql instead.

 - Matt