[plug] newbie list

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 9 03:14:24 WST 2001

Scott wrote:

> Hi Pluggers
>
> A few of us were sitting around and discussing the plug list

Not at a PLUG meeting, and, not on the list? Now, that is a cause for
concern. What factions have we got here?

> when it was
> mentioned that are newbie-howto list could  be set up.  chris at linuxwa.com.au
> (the owner) has donated the use of linuxwa.com.au to it.
> The idea is basically plug-newbie at linuxwa.com.au or
> plug-howto at linuxwa.com.au.
> All "stupid" questions could be redirected to this list where people won't
> have to be afraid to actually ask a question and won't have to apologise if
> it is too easy. I gather the original idea was to encourage people to get
> into linux i think that ideal has been lost along the way, now the list is
> only for professionals or for people with very strong opinions.
>
> Comments please.
>
> The cooperation of the main plug list would be very beneficial.
>
> Scott

I understand that this issue has been done to death.

I understood that the leitist nature of separate PLUG mailing lists, had
been popularly dismissed.

People should not be afraid to post queries to this list, providing the
queries relate to Linux, or to PLUG. Any people new to the list, or to
Linux, should be encouraged to search the mailing list archives, and,
sufficient links on the Resources web page, to HOWTO's, etc, should
exist, to which, queries, if appropriate, could be directed (and,
mention made, in addition to referring to searching the mailing list
before posting queries, in the "Welcome to the PLUG mailing list email
message).

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988