Postfix/fetchmail Re: [plug] meeting?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 9 09:42:49 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 07:15:30AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > Okay, then. Why don't the settings in postfix, configured to deliver
> > email that is downloaded, using fetchmail, to different mailboxes, work,
> > and, why do all the supposed mailbox-directed messages, go into the same
> > mailbox?
>
> As had already been said, this is almost certainly a fetchmail
> configuration issue and not a Postfix one.  The default install for
> Postfix should deliver mail fine for you, although some very MINOR
> tweaks may be possible.  I'm also almost positive I (and maybe others
> too) told you this already a few weeks back when you emailed this
> question then.
>
> Configuring fetchmail can be tricky in my experience -- I think it's
> about the most touchy of all programs I can remember trying to configure
> plus it has a very loose and flexible configuration language which I
> find makes it even harder.  My advice is to read the manual carefully
> and then read it again!  Try to stick to one form of the syntax
> (whichever you find most comfortable to work with but I recommend the
> most terse one possible with all optional syntax omitted).  If you're
> still stuck then post your config to the list and I'm sure someone can
> help.  You should also be aware that fetchmail in multidrop mode
> typically does not operate flawlessly.  There are certain situations
> like where mail is sent to a mailing list where it won't be able to
> deliver it to the correct person.  A better solution is a semi-permanent
> connection with a static IP.

Basically, Christian, the point that I was trying to make (not very
well, it appears), is that Anne followed the instructions, read the
manuals, and, set it all up, according to the instructions (if all else
fails, read the instructions), and, it does not work.

It is quite simple really; we wanted it set up, so that the server
downloaded the email from the ISP, and, some aliases went into Anne's
mailbox, and, the rest went into mine.

However, all the emil downloaded from the ISP, goes to me, and, given
that the instructions had been followed, the idea was, to go to a PLUG
workshop meeting ,and say (to someone who understood postfix and
fetchmail), "Anne has followed the instructions, and, it doesn't work;
how do we fix it?"

I understood that was mainly what the PLUG workshop meetings were for.

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988