Postfix/fetchmail Re: [plug] meeting?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Jan 9 09:28:22 WST 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 07:15:30AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Okay, then. Why don't the settings in postfix, configured to deliver
> email that is downloaded, using fetchmail, to different mailboxes, work,
> and, why do all the supposed mailbox-directed messages, go into the same
> mailbox?

As had already been said, this is almost certainly a fetchmail
configuration issue and not a Postfix one.  The default install for
Postfix should deliver mail fine for you, although some very MINOR
tweaks may be possible.  I'm also almost positive I (and maybe others
too) told you this already a few weeks back when you emailed this
question then.

Configuring fetchmail can be tricky in my experience -- I think it's
about the most touchy of all programs I can remember trying to configure
plus it has a very loose and flexible configuration language which I
find makes it even harder.  My advice is to read the manual carefully
and then read it again!  Try to stick to one form of the syntax
(whichever you find most comfortable to work with but I recommend the
most terse one possible with all optional syntax omitted).  If you're
still stuck then post your config to the list and I'm sure someone can
help.  You should also be aware that fetchmail in multidrop mode
typically does not operate flawlessly.  There are certain situations
like where mail is sent to a mailing list where it won't be able to
deliver it to the correct person.  A better solution is a semi-permanent
connection with a static IP.