[plug] newbie list, show of hands

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Tue Jan 9 12:07:01 WST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Scott wrote:
> So far 2 bad, 1 either, 1 good.
Count me negative.

> 1. Its not an effort to split the list but rather a way for the true new
> people to get into linux without being scared of sounding like an idiot.
I don't think there is any reason to be scared of sounding like an idiot
on PLUG, unless you are an idiot, and if you were an idiot, you probably
wouldn't realise you sounded like an idiot, anyway.

> 2. They (the newbies)can decide when they want to post to the main plug list
> (and take the risk of being ridiculed).
Show me an instance of someone being ridiculed on the list for posting
newbie-ish questions.

> 6. [plug] need not be in the name but the support of [plug] would help make
> it work.
But if the second list would not be good for PLUG, (which I argue it would
not) then PLUG should not support it.

> 8. People used to windows don't know how to access information not given to
> them.
No newbie has ever been ridiculed for asking where to find information.
I can assure you of this.

> 10. If you want to see linux get into the mainstream people who hardly have
> any real experience, then you need to encourage the totally computer
> illiterate users to be involved and to learn.
I don't think anyone has ever been discouraged from _learning_.

> This is a chance for all the people who never (or hardly ever) post to voice
> your opinion. Do you want a list to ask questions you are too afraid to ask?
I want noone to be afraid to ask questions on PLUG.

> One of the problem i face personally is what is an easy (obvious) question
> and what isn't?
Easy/obvious is entirely relative. Noone cares how easy/obvious something
might be. A lot of people care that the person asking the question has
done some preliminary research to establish what the question should be,
determine what information they should provide to people trying to answer
it, and make some effort towards narrowing down the problem space.

> What i think is hard is easy for others and vica-versa, lets have a list
> where there is no pressure "not to be stupid".
We have a very high tolerance for stupidity on this list, just not
deliberate stupidity. We know we are working on a system that requires you
to learn in order to use it to full effect, and so we expect that people
are going to have things to learn. We also expect people to be prepared to
learn the things that are necessary, and to learn how to teach
themselves, since that is a far quicker and more efficient way to find
solutions, once the groundwork has been done.

> Alternatively lets change this list so that all people are encouraged to
> involved in linux.
What changes would you recommend?

> P.S. I am not going to flog a dead horse if no-one wants to be involved, but
> you have to ask what is best for linux.
Best for Linux? Shut up and code. :)
Best for the UG members? Let's keep discussing that.

-Greg Mildenhall