[plug] newbie list, show of hands

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jan 9 12:15:02 WST 2001

The Thought Assassin wrote:

>> 1. Its not an effort to split the list but rather a way for the true new
>> people to get into linux without being scared of sounding like an idiot.

> I don't think there is any reason to be scared of sounding like an idiot
> on PLUG, unless you are an idiot, and if you were an idiot, you probably
> wouldn't realise you sounded like an idiot, anyway.

Hear, hear! (-:

>> 10. If you want to see linux get into the mainstream people who hardly have
>> any real experience, then you need to encourage the totally computer
>> illiterate users to be involved and to learn.

> I don't think anyone has ever been discouraged from _learning_.

Although they have occasionally been encouraged to learn quite
brusquely... (-:

>> One of the problem i face personally is what is an easy (obvious) question
>> and what isn't?

> Easy/obvious is entirely relative. Noone cares how easy/obvious something
> might be. A lot of people care that the person asking the question has
> done some preliminary research to establish what the question should be,
> determine what information they should provide to people trying to answer
> it, and make some effort towards narrowing down the problem space.

And also towards developing their own successful problem-solving skills,
which is a far more self-beneficial thing than actually getting the
answer, most times.
--
"I recently shampooed my pet rabbit with Body Shop shampoo. Its eyes
bulged out and turned red. If you tested your stuff on animals like