[plug] modem selection

Paul Day bonfire at bur.st
Tue Jan 9 22:44:51 WST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 shevedd at q-net.net.au wrote:

> I need to bye a modem to use on my linux box at home.

It depends if you want to splash out or save money.

If you want to splash out, I'm a fan of the Netcomm Roadster II for
$170-230. If you want to save money, buy one of the Directcomm/Disocvery
(rebadged under a whole heap of names) external modems for $90-$110. Very
decent for $100 and performs better than your average modem. Both will
work wiht Linux without any extra fiddling.

I've got one of both dialled up 24/7 and can't say I notice a big
difference between them.

PD

--
Paul Day