Postfix/fetchmail Re: [plug] meeting?

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Jan 9 22:57:45 WST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Bret Busby wrote:

> We tried the procmail thing, and, all our email stuffed up, so that was
> discontinued.

OK so you don't want to put it on a live system, which is understandable,
and of course you don't have a test system lying around, but how about
the following?

1. create the incoming at localhost account

2. configure fetchmail to deliver to the incoming account

at this stage if any email comes in, it won't be lost, it will be in the
incoming account where you can read it, and forward manually as
appropriate

3. Send a test message from an external address (eg your plug address,
   using pine etc) to bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
   Send another one to anne at clearsol.iinet.net.au

4. Use a text editor to edit /var/spool/mail/incoming and copy & paste
   those test messages in their entirety to a seperate file

5. (optionally) set fetchmail back to it's current state so you don't have
   to hunt through incoming's mailbox for incoming email from other people

6. Set up your .procmailrc as I mentioned earlier but don't set up the
   .forward yet

7. run procmail manually with a command such as
   cat testmessages.txt | /usr/bin/procmail
   (assuming you saved your test messages to testmessages.txt)

8. Check to see the test messages arrived in the correct mailboxen.
   If they didn't, tweak the .procmailrc, rinse, repeat until it works.

9. When you are satisfied it is all working, create the .forward file
   and point fetchmail back at incoming at localhost

10. (optionally) get a warm fuzzy feeling from the knowledge you finally
    licked that problem

 - Matt