Postfix/fetchmail Re: [plug] meeting?

'The Gratuitous Maker of Insults' christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Jan 10 10:19:51 WST 2001

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 02:32:18AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> Anne set it up,  and tried it on the server, which was live. Email got
> stuffed. It was live. The procmail stuff got turned off, so we could use
> email again.

And now Matt has given you a step-by-step guide to setting it up safely
on a LIVE server.  In my opinion you should be thanking him and not
whinging about how useless the list is.

> I thought it reasonable, to ask whether anyone familiar with postfix,
> would be going to the next UCC meeting, which meetings, I understood,
> were supposed to be workshop meetings, to help people.

Of course it's reasonable to ask for help at UCC meetings but what the
people here saying to you, if you bothered to listen for just one
second, is that we can probably help you much more quickly (and possibly
effectively) if you post details of your problem here.

> Instead, the response seems to be, "Stuff the workshop meetings. Don't
> bother going to them. Publish all your settings, and, any information
> that may slip through, on the mailing list."

Hmmm... do you keep your credit card numbers and private keys embedded
as comments in your ~/.fetchmailrc file?  If not then you only have to
remove the plaintext mail account password!  What else are you worried
about?  If you think that fetchmail configurations reveal highly
sensitive information about your system then perhaps we ought to alert
all those people who have posted sample fetchmail configurations on the
web for YEARS?  Honestly, Bret!  There is nothing here to be paranoid
about.

> Also, going to a UCC meeting, would have meant that both Anne, and I
> could be present, and, both learn at the same time, instead of me
> messing with stuff that I don't know, and, probably compounding the
> problem.

As has already been pointed out, if you try to do it yourself then
you're likely to learn much more than if someone jumps in and does it
all for you.  The only advantage to the latter approach is that you
wouldn't have to make any effort...

> However, if we are to be discouraged, via the list, from attending the
> workshop meetings,to obtain help, then, so be it.

You haven't been and you know it.

> It is unfortunate, if we can't attend the meetings, to. obtain
> assistance, and, if we get the personal insults, from the gratuitous
> maker of insults, who previously acknowledged his role on the list.

This sentence is obviously directed at me so I wish it made more sense
-- it's hard to refute otherwise.