Postfix/fetchmail Re: [plug] meeting?

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Jan 10 11:21:39 WST 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Bret Busby wrote:

> Anne set it up,  and tried it on the server, which was live. Email got
> stuffed. It was live. The procmail stuff got turned off, so we could use
> email again.

So follow my instructions and your email won't get stuffed up.

> I believe that, when you did suggest using procmail, it was suggested as
> a band-aid fix, and, not as an ongoing solution. What happened here,
> when the procmail solution was applied, was simple. No email.

No, it was suggested as an alternative fix, because I am not familiar with
fetchmail at all, but I am (somewhat) familiar with procmail, and know it
will do what you want, and much much more.  It is because it is such a
powerful tool that you have the option to really screw things up.  You
also have the option to make it work really well for you, you just need to
persevere with it - and implement some safety guards, like I suggested, so
you don't lose any email.

> I thought it reasonable, to ask whether anyone familiar with postfix,
> would be going to the next UCC meeting, which meetings, I understood,
> were supposed to be workshop meetings, to help people.

The question is not unreasonable, I just pointed out that requesting
postfix experts to look at a fetchmail problem is pointless, and tried to
help you by trying to establish what the problem was.

> Instead, the response seems to be, "Stuff the workshop meetings. Don't
> bother going to them. Publish all your settings, and, any information
> that may slip through, on the mailing list."

No, the response was that the mailing list can be MORE useful than the
workshop meetings because there are 20 times more people on the list than
generally turn up to the meetings.

> Also, going to a UCC meeting, would have meant that both Anne, and I
> could be present, and, both learn at the same time, instead of me
> messing with stuff that I don't know, and, probably compounding the
> problem.

You live together, right?
Can't you both read your email at the same time, and try to implement the
suggestions at the same time?

> However, if we are to be discouraged, via the list, from attending the
> workshop meetings,to obtain help, then, so be it.

I'm not trying to discourage you to attend the meetings, I'm trying to
encourage you to try to solve the problem on the list first, because the
next meeting is 2 weeks away and we should have been able to have the
problem fixed already, if only you followed our suggestions.

All we can do is suggest.

If you don't want our help, then what are you doing here?

 - Matt