[plug] Dependencies clarification

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Thu Jan 11 11:14:57 WST 2001

From: "Dennis Plester" <dennisp at tiwest.com.au>
> dramas.  The problem was that Mandrake's cdrecord package has "mdk"
included
> in the package name as far as I can gather.

The difference is that the RPM is built (as in compile->build) on a
different OS.  Mandrake and RH are very similar, so with a lot of packages
you will have no problem, but where there are differences in the underlying
system, you may have problems.

> Am I risking much when I switch off dependency checks if I'm certain
> the requirements are met?

To be safe, you build your own apps instead of using RPM's - that way you
can not only define everything for your specific system, but you can
optimize it too.  It's also a sh*t-load of work unless you're really good at
it  :)

I wouldn't turn dependancies off on a live/important system.  Other than
that, 'give it a go and backout if it fails'.

First preference, however, would be to get the RPM for the appropriate OS.
Second might be to consider downloading the tarball and see is you can make
it.  Third would be to try a similar OS RPM under test conditions.

This is advise, not gospel.

- Brian :)