[plug] Fax/Modem Queries...

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 12 15:28:49 WST 2001

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with Fax issues under Linux, esp. in a small/home
> office environment? I'm going to start looking at efax and HylaFAX, but any

Trevor,
Last I checked, mgetty+sendfax seemed to be the best. I am very happy with
it.

> sage advice or quick recommendations would be appreciated. Ideally, being able
> to "print" under Windows & Linux clients to a fax server is what we're after.

You can do that, but the trick is how to tell it the fax number.

> One problem is - our Modem is used as a Modem. Any knowledge you can impart on
> using a Modem for Faxes as well as internet? For example, it probably wouldn't

Yes, mgetty is very good at that. It allows fax,data and voice calls
incoming. Go read the website.

> Then there's incoming Faxes... Is it possible to get a smart enough modem (or
> software?) that can take in a call-waiting Fax while online, and receive the

call-waiting needs a special modem - there is a new standard which
supports it, but I wouldnt be too hopeful.  Another line would be easier.
How about an outside fax-mailbox?

> And then there's the up-market ball-court - What can I do with ADSL &
> similar techs that I can't with Ye Olde Modemme?

ADSL doenst do fax - its totally separate from POTS. You could look at
ISDN.

Anway, check  http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>