[plug] checking serial ports

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Jan 14 18:09:10 WST 2001

I had a similar problem on a RH61 server, I ended up using the old stand by program Procomm (which is similar to minicom) to do the testing and found out the port was bad.  Just add another com port card to your PC.  I ran a whole series of tests using various tools and a known working modem and it was conclusive.

<<< average at b-online.com.au  1/14  1:43a >>>
i am trying to setup 2 modems on my serial ports on ttyS1 this is no problem
but when i try to comuunicate on ttyS0 i get no response. even if i swap the
known working modem over.

this is using a redhat 6.2 on a p166 for a fax server using hylafax.

as i have tried swapping modems and cables i suspect it is the port

/dev/ttyS0 has the same permissons as ttyS1

any other ways to try and get this working???

barry