[plug] XFree86 4.0 Problems with Debian

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Jan 15 16:36:41 WST 2001

Hi all,

Recently, in upgrading some packages on one of my machines, Debian's APT
helpfully upgraded my XFree86 installation to version 4.0. :)  This has
introduced a number of problems but most particularly whenever either
myself or gdm tried to start the X server, it would execute but would
then start consuming 100% CPU time and no server would actually start.
I've been fiddling around with it this afternoon and have managed to set
up the new XFree86 X server with my video card and get rid of the old X
server which seemed to be causing the problem.  Now if I run "XFree86"
as directly as root it works fine.  However if I run "startx", "xinit"
or try to start gdm then it once again starts consuming 100% CPU time
and nothing happens.  If I run "XFree86" as a normal user then it fails
due to a permissions problem (as would be expected).

It *seems* like it's trying to execute the old X servers but I've
changed over the /etc/X11/Xserver file to point to /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
and I've even renamed my old X servers to totally remove them from the
picture.  I've now got gdm to work but only by moving the normal
/usr/bin/X11/X SUID helper application (which is what is causing the
problem I think) to another name and creating a symbolic link from
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86 to /usr/bin/X11/X but obviously this isn't exactly
optimal so if anyone has any idea what the problem might be then please
let me know.

Regards,

Christian.