[plug] Sound Blaster CDROM + RedHat 7.0

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Mon Jan 15 14:16:00 WST 2001

In the most recent message I sent to the plug list I mentioned I had
similar set up (SB16 with cdrom connected and 2 HDDs on the mobo 486
IDE) but oddly enough the cdrom would only work when plugged into the
sound card, not the IDE, and I tried it on my main computer as well
with various jumper settings (possible not all possible settings, I
don't recall at this point), and even when plugged into the sound card
would not work with the win98SE boot disk when booting with the cdrom
support option selected, only with a full install of Win95 did it work
(and worked just fine).  I did not attempt a linux install on that
particular machine.

Ari

Original message from: Edward Doernberg <shevedd at q-net.net.au>

>I dont know about linux but i have a simaler cd out of an old 486.
When
>i had hard drive truble the shop moved the CD from the sound card to
the
>motherbord so it wold enable botable CD's and remove the need for the
>complicated driver.
>
>mine was faster, 4 or 8 speed i think.
>
>i wold try it on the mainbord IDE. i expect it will work bout as i
saidi
>havnt tryed that or much els on linux.
>
>Edward Doernberg
>
>linux user synce 03/01/2001
>
>Flipper wrote:
>>
>> G'day
>>
>> > you need to find out what CDROM type it is and what port you are
plugged
>> > into, etc.
>>
>> I know what type of CDROM it is
>> a matsushita CR-562 2 speed and it is plugged into an IDE "LIKE"
interface on a soundblaster 16 sound card
>> Its old yes I know but it works fine with Redhat 6.0 and is
supported by 7.0 according to the Redhat website and the
multitudionous HOWTOs around the place
>> I am fairly sure that it wont plug into the mainboard IDE secondary
interface as It is a propietary interface made by
Panasonic\soundblaster from about 1994

>> an interesting feature though is that RedHat 6.0 detects the CDROM
despite the fact its connected to a 16-bit ISA soundcard... wish the
same was true for the NIC!