[plug] Video cards - the sequel

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Tue Jan 16 12:31:04 WST 2001

Trevor wrote:

>D'oh! I missed that thread. ^_^
>Personally, I've found Matrox G200/G4x0 cards have excellent support,
>especially for obtuse projects like Linux DVD players, etc... But I'm
eyeing
>off the grunt of a GeForce. ^_^

The Matrox cards have their place, but they can not match the fill rate and
texture processing power of a GeForce, even the G400 MAX models.

>Wooo! $209 for a GeForce2 MX? Is that a 32MB card?

Yep. In fact, some other shops "advertise" them for $199, but no one had
them in stock at this price, more like $209 - 239, and I couldn't wait, as I
had a LAN party to go to ;-).

>Does anyone know about Twinview with Linux? I have a Matrox G400 at work
and
>use Dual Head under linux all the time and it's "way cool"(tm). I'd be
>interested to know how easy/hard/possible it is to do similar with
TwinView...

I also want to explore the Twinview thing further in Linux, and would be
interested if anyone has knowledge/experience regarding it. I will check it
out more when I have the time. It's incredibly easy in Windows, but I still
haven't found it in Linux. (Haven't tried real hard though.)

Dennis.