[plug] Crashing when switching to X

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Jan 16 11:27:23 WST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:19:43PM -0800, Andrew Furey wrote:

> When I have X running but am currently in a console,
> if I switch back into X, and the machine is at all
> busy, it completely locks up (including network). The
> display also has a series of coloured vertical lines.
> Anyone seen this before? Could it be a BIOS problem?

I had a semi-similar problem once where, if I changed from X to the
console, when I tried to change back the display would just be blank.
The computer didn't crash like yours is but it became next to useless.
It turned out to be a problem with the X server and when I upgraded X
servers the problem went away.  You might want to try upgrading to the
latest X server for your video card (if appropriate and available) and
see what impact this has on the problem.

Regards,

Christian.