[plug] Terminal Server?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Jan 17 16:32:52 WST 2001

madco wrote:

> What I am trying to do is to have linux as a server and win95 clients
> logging on. Is there actually any way to make win32 apps run over a LAN
> on the linux server? I just checked the webpage of the manufacturer of
> the product the company will be running, which is at
> http://www.xlon.com.au. According to them I will have to make do with
> Win2000 Server.

Just to make this pellucidly clear: I understand you to mean that you
wish to run Windows programs on a Linux server and have them display on
a Windows95 workstation? In that case, you are looking for Win4Lin, grab
an eval copy from
http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin/downloads/index.php - it
works much better than TS in terms of resource shareability and the like
(only real limitation is no DirectX yet, no NT/Win2000 sessions (AFAIK)
yet). In fact, I have a machine (Mitac laptop) on which the sound does
*not* work in native Windows but *does* work through Linux and Win4Lin.

Win4Lin will typically run Windows 95 apps at twice native speed. That
is not a typoe. If you install Win95 on a machine, run benchmarks,
install Linux+Win4Lin on the same machine, run benchmarks, you will
approximately double your speed on the second run. All thanks to Linux's
better resource and process management.

If the client machines are only acting as display screens you will
achieve much better security and reliability by using Linux on them, not
Windows (the Windows apps will still display on a Linux Win4Lin
workstation).

If you are talking about diskless Windows95 workstations, or simply
storing applications on a server and running them on the workstations,
Linux works fine as both storage and authentication.

--
"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have
  been more specific." --  Lily Tomlin