[plug] Terminal Server?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 17 16:48:56 WST 2001

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Just to make this pellucidly clear: I understand you to mean that you
> wish to run Windows programs on a Linux server and have them display on
> a Windows95 workstation? In that case, you are looking for Win4Lin, grab
> an eval copy from
> http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin/downloads/index.php - it
> works much better than TS in terms of resource shareability and the like
> (only real limitation is no DirectX yet, no NT/Win2000 sessions (AFAIK)
> yet). In fact, I have a machine (Mitac laptop) on which the sound does
> *not* work in native Windows but *does* work through Linux and Win4Lin.
>
> Win4Lin will typically run Windows 95 apps at twice native speed. That
> is not a typoe. If you install Win95 on a machine, run benchmarks,
> install Linux+Win4Lin on the same machine, run benchmarks, you will
> approximately double your speed on the second run. All thanks to Linux's
> better resource and process management.

Please clarify the status of Win4Lin, compared with WinE.

I understood that, with Win4Lin, a normal (?), licensed, registered
version of Win9x, had to be installed on top of Win4Lin, to be able to
run Windows programs.

Is that correct, or, does a person just install Win4Lin, then, install
the Windows programs on top of Win4Lin? If so, how well do programs,
like the MS Office Suite, and other Windows applications (eq, Quicken,
Quick Books, etc) run on it? What is the overhead like? Can it be run,
on a 6x86 with 32MB of EDO RAM, and, run as fast, and, at least as
stable, as if running these applications directly on MS Windows? Could I
run Star Office for Windows, on top of Win4Lin, on top of Linux? Can
Win4Lin run MS Outlook? (I can get return receipt requests consistently,
via iinet, only if I send messages out, using MS Outlook).

And, the inevitable question; can GDI printer drivers be run on Win4Lin,
and, if so, can material be taken from the Linux work area (assuming
that Linux applications can be run with Win4Lin), and, printed, via the
GDI printer, running via Win4Lin?

Just a couple of questions...
:)

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988