[plug] Terminal Server

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Jan 18 09:43:18 WST 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Bret Busby wrote:

> Please clarify the status of Win4Lin, compared with WinE.
>
> I understood that, with Win4Lin, a normal (?), licensed, registered
> version of Win9x, had to be installed on top of Win4Lin, to be able to
> run Windows programs.

I have no experience with Win BUT with Win4Lin You are correct you do need a
licensed copy of windows (95 works best).  Win4Lin is about half way between
Wine and vmware.  It creates a process on your Linux box that emulates a PC
on with you run windows.   You can't take an existing install you MUST install
windows under Win4Lin.

I personally have experience running Corel 9, Win95, Office 97,
Netscape 4.75, mIRC, IE 5.5 and  ws_ftp Under W4L.  No crashes It is good.

> Is that correct, or, does a person just install Win4Lin, then, install
> the Windows programs on top of Win4Lin? If so, how well do programs,
> like the MS Office Suite, and other Windows applications (eg, Quicken,
> Quick Books, etc) run on it? What is the overhead like? Can it be run,
> on a 6x86 with 32MB of EDO RAM, and, run as fast, and, at least as

It can I can't comment about the speed.  I would suggest the the memory would
need to be upgraded for performance to be acceptable.

> stable, as if running these applications directly on MS Windows? Could I
> run Star Office for Windows, on top of Win4Lin, on top of Linux? Can

Yes.

> Win4Lin run MS Outlook? (I can get return receipt requests consistently,
Yes.

> via iinet, only if I send messages out, using MS Outlook).
>
> And, the inevitable question; can GDI printer drivers be run on Win4Lin,
> and, if so, can material be taken from the Linux work area (assuming
> that Linux applications can be run with Win4Lin), and, printed, via the
> GDI printer, running via Win4Lin?

Win4Lin "looks" like another application running under X.  You can create
"virtual" drives to share documents between W4L and Linux.  If the printer
is local you can give Win4Lin access to the LPT port and print via the windows
drivers.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein