[plug] Terminal Server?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 18 09:29:58 WST 2001

Bret Busby wrote:

> Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Win4Lin will typically run Windows 95 apps at twice native speed. That
>> is not a typoe. If you install Win95 on a machine, run benchmarks,
>> install Linux+Win4Lin on the same machine, run benchmarks, you will
>> approximately double your speed on the second run. All thanks to Linux's
>> better resource and process management.

> Please clarify the status of Win4Lin, compared with WinE.

WINE is an emulator, and a very good one. Win4Lin runs some pieces of
Windows in a box.

> I understood that, with Win4Lin, a normal (?), licensed, registered
> version of Win9x, had to be installed on top of Win4Lin, to be able to
> run Windows programs.

Sort of. Or ME, and I think soon NT or 2000. Win4Lin self-installs the
bits of Windows that it needs to operate. You could argue for a discount
on the licence since what you're running is not entirely Windows. In
fact, please do - and take a video camera with you. (-:

> how well do programs,
> like the MS Office Suite, and other Windows applications (eq, Quicken,
> Quick Books, etc) run on it?

Flawlessly. There is no DirectX support.

> What is the overhead like? Can it be run,
> on a 6x86 with 32MB of EDO RAM, and, run as fast, and, at least as
> stable, as if running these applications directly on MS Windows?

Yes.

> Could I
> run Star Office for Windows, on top of Win4Lin, on top of Linux?

Yes. Why would you do a thing like that if the native version is available?

> Can
> Win4Lin run MS Outlook? (I can get return receipt requests consistently,
> via iinet, only if I send messages out, using MS Outlook).

Yes. I get receipts consistently using any mailer. Bear in mind that the
MTA and client are not obliged to return receipts, and in fact I usually
don't.

> And, the inevitable question; can GDI printer drivers be run on Win4Lin,

It uses the Linux printer drivers. If you have a Linux driver that
works, Windows programs will print.

> and, if so, can material be taken from the Linux work area (assuming
> that Linux applications can be run with Win4Lin), and, printed, via the
> GDI printer, running via Win4Lin?

As far as Linux applications are concerned, Win4Lin is just another
application. As far as Windows applications are concerned, they're
running under Windows, only everything's going too fast for too long.

--
Is a mirage real?  Well, it's a real mirage.  -- Edward Abbey