[plug] Missing partition table

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 24 12:20:57 WST 2001

Ok, this one has me stumped.  I just booted into a 2.4 kernel with DMA
enabled and now the partitions table seem to be missing from my second
hard drive.  There is
/dev/hdb1 which is a fat32 partition and
/dev/hdb2 which is my /home and is ext2.

Wierdly enough linux can still see and use these partitions.  Windows
can't see the fat32 partition, however, and when I look at it with
(linux) fdisk I get this
Disk /dev/hdb: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 549 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

8 partitions:
#       start       end      size     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  c:        1       276*      275*    unused        0     0

If I try to verify the partition table I get a segmentation fault.  Does
anyone know of a safe way I can fix this?  The fat32 partition is
relatively unimportant but losing my /home directory would be a disaster
and I probably don't have the hard drive space to back it up, then redo
the partitions.

Steve

--
FreeBSD maestro.dhis.org 3.4-STABLE i386
12:10PM  up 8 days, 17:12, 1 user, load averages: 0.07, 0.04, 0.01