[plug] win4lin - debian and 2.4 kernel

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 25 08:50:06 WST 2001

navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:

> 1) Debian is not listed as a supported distribution, has any one
> installed win4lin on a debian installation?

Not I, but I can't see it being a big problem.

> 2) On any distribution, has any one tried win4lin using the new 2.4
> kernel?

Not I. AFAIK, won't work reliably but don't expect this to last.

> 3) I presume that the windows program and data space (disk space used) is
> a directory in the ext2 file system and as such can be backed up using
> tar and bzip. Once the windows registry gets corrupt or a program will
> not uninstall the windows directory could be rm -r * and the backup
> extracted into its space and operation continue as normal. I think this
> was said at the demonstration night.

Each user has a ~/win/ directory as above.

4)?

> 5) The screen output from the win4lin can be viewed on a different system
> via a network. I think this was also said to be true, this is how I would
> like to use it.

Yes, in their server version. As I understand it the evaluation version
is single-machine-only.
--
Everyone talks about apathy, but no one DOES anything about it.