[plug] Celeron vs Duron

Garry bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Jan 27 10:51:23 WST 2001

I have recently upgraded to the Asus A7V m/board, T/Bird 800 and 128 Mb of PC
133 RAM.

I intended to only buy a Duron, but the price was pretty close (within $50 I
think), so I lashed out.  I didn't know if i needed the Athlon over Duron,
but I can do without the nagging regret in the future.. (If there was any).

It really hums on Linux. Goes without saying, but performance has improved
since I replaced the Pentium 233 MMX/64Mb RAM with the Athlon 800/ 128 Mb
RAM... YMMV, but I doubt it!  :^)=

All the bits, (mid ATX case, A7V, Athlon 800, 128 Mb RAM and a 10/100 PCI
card) came to ~$770. Think things are still getting cheaper. I bought the
bits from Domain Technology in Royal St, just before christmas.

M$ has not been allowed on this system, so can't comment on windows
performance.
I have found no compatability problems at all. Still working on getting the
GForce2 MX card working under Linux, but it will happen.

Quake 3 Arena for linux is available at various distributors for ~$40, I
bought mine at the Linux shop in East Perth. (I think if someone is going to
support Linux  in Perth, they are worth a look at least.)

Regards,

Garry