[plug] Celeron vs Duron

navarre at plug.linux.org.au navarre at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jan 24 16:18:59 WST 2001

Hello Dennis

I have a healthy bias against Intel and M$ products thus I would
recommend going the AND Duron with a VIA KT133 chipset mainboard, 256 Meg
RAM. You have identified that the Celeron is only using 66MHz front side
bus where the VIA chipset can use 100 or 133 Mhz SD RAM and a 200MHz
front side bus. That should be much faster. Also, using VIA chipsets,
especially the likes of Asus A7Pro and A7V mainboards will give you an
Award BIOS. This is also a big plus in stable, configurable systems.

Others may like other mainboard/ CPU configurations, but in my experience
I have had nothing but grief using Intel hardware.

Over the weekend I expect to build a second system for myself and that
will be Duron 700MHz based with 256Meg PC-133 RAM to be used as a test
machine, running Winblows 98 and Debian Potato. I will be using this
machine to run some programs that only run under windows like Winfax,
Snappy, IE5, Netscape for Windows and M$ Access.
I hope to use Win4Lin eventually to put Windows in a box and control it.

Thus I am saying that the Duron 700 and a good stock of RAM should be a
good value move into current technology. The two Asus mainboards I quoted
will also run Athlon CPU past 1.2 GigHz.

The Duron and Athlon CPUs are the same core with differing amounts of
internal cache.
My main system, as I believe is the case for some/many on the mail list,
is an Athlon based system. I am using a 950MHz Athlon CPU with 256Meg RAM
Asus A7V Mainboard and it is well stable. I also believe the new 2.4
kernal code supports Athlon/ Duron in its CPU selection list, perhaps Mr
Some-One Else could clarify this.

Navarre

On 1/24/01, 9:43:57 AM, Dennis Plester <dennisp at tiwest.com.au> wrote
regarding [plug] Celeron vs Duron: