[plug] [CONF] 1st Debian Conference, Bordeaux, France, Jul 4 - 8 2001

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Jan 28 13:10:36 WST 2001

Now that Linux.conf.au is over, I am looking at going to the 1st Debian
Conference (its actually the second one; the first was the 0th Debian
Conference).

It runs from July 4 (Wed) to 8th (Sun) 2001 as part of the Libre Software
Meeting (Free Software Meeting) in France. The web sites are:

	http://lsm.abul.org/ 			[LSM site]
	http://lsm.abul.org/program/topic20/ 	[Debian page, with a
						link to Arto Teräs'
						report about the Zeroth
						Debian Conference]

(The lsm webserver may be down at the moment, YMMV)

From the Debian Announce list:
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0101/msg00003.html

So far there are two people interested; both of us want to fly off to
separate destinations afterwards, but we'll probably book accomodation
and conference attendence together.

If you are interested in going, you're looking at around $550 for the
five days of accomodation/breakfast/lunch, plus something on top for dinners.
Airfares run at around $1400 - $2000. I haven't seen a price yet for
conference attendence. All up, I'll take a stab and say $2000 - $3500.

I think out 'trial run' for LCA worked out quite well; there was as little
trouble as possible for those who went in our group - we ended up with about
6 or 7 people all up from UCC/PLUG at LCA 2001. Obviously with an increased
cost and a more focused audience for the Debian Conference I am not
expecting that many people wanting to go, but if you are considering it,
then email me at "debianconf at ucc.asn.au", and I'll add you to the alias
and we can start _talking_ about it. Even if you're not sure, email
and you can listen in on the organisation - there is no commitment until
money tickets starts moving around! ;)

I am looking at booking *my* air tickets in the *VERY* near future due
to other circumstances, but I'll get all the information together for
everyone and try and help out as much as I can as I did for LCA 2001.

Yours,

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james