[plug]OT: ISPs

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Thu Jan 25 19:01:00 WST 2001

Original message from: Bill Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>

<edit>

>Whilst the language etc could have been a bit more
>diplomatic, the problems stand, and in fact any comment I would make
>about this ISP to someone would be based on the reply of their
>representative - obviously an angry, defensive responce - no talk of
>compensation for bad service, how do we fix the problem/do better
next
>time etc - not a good reccomendation which I have taken note of.

</edit>

Yes, my language should have been a bit more diplomatic.  I was quite
frustrated at not having my emails replied to for so many days, and in
fact it wasn't until after I sent the [plug] message that I received a
reply.  Also, the only reason I considered Bizzpro was that a person
from this list recommended Bizzpro on this list.

<edit>

>but its worth keeping in mind that the
>bigger ISP's like iinet etc keep their customers despite being more
>expensive because they have a focus on customer support and a good
>reliable service that is often lacking in smaller/cheaper services.
>(After all, ISP stands for Information SERVICE Provider!, and I
regard
>service as including support for the product you have paid for)

</edit>

Exactly.  That's why I've returned to iiNet.  I tried to make a
complaint to the TIO about the utter lack of customer service from
iPrimus, but iPrimus claims that their 24-7 customer support is a free
add on, and not part of the services you're paying for, so they were
able to avoid trouble with the TIO from my complaint at least.  I
mailed iPrimus tech support (and eventually cc'd messages to any any
other related iprimus staff email) repeatedly with questions, and no
incorrect statements as to the service many people were subscribed to
(including me) in the iPrimus news group iPrimus still would not reply
to emails asking for clarification.  People bagging iPrimus on a news
group that only iPrimus members could access were threatened with
having their accounts removed by iPrimus staff on the news group,
which I felt was offensive.

>And
>perhaps Ari, whilst I am not familiar with Bizzpro's rates, is it a
case
>of a cheap rate so you got what you paid for?
>
>BillK

I think you're right, Bill.  iPrimus was $75 for three months,
unlimited everything.  The internet service was very good (when their
dial ins weren't having one of their multiple times a week problems
nation wide) but their advertised 24-7 customer support was
nonexistant.  6 hours on hold (in 30 minute intervals) never got me
connected with tech support over a period of 3 months.  No emails were
ever replied to.  I did get through to tech support quickly one night
at about 1:30 am, though!  With Domain the service was okay...web
pages were okay, but there were problems with online games (Red Alert
II specifically, I haven't been playing other games recently) and they
wanted you to meil them your web pages, and they'd put them up for you
(icky) for $27.50 per month.  Then there was a few days with Bizzpro
at about $25 per month, my complaints of which have already been aired
in this line of discussion.  Neither Bizzpro nor Domain had much of
any online support pages, unlike iPrimus and iiNet.  In the end, the
more expensive iiNet with better customer service brought me back, and
I'm staying this time!

Ari