[plug] com port problem

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu Jan 25 12:58:52 WST 2001

Hey People,

I've been in Sydney the last month using my laptop as a mobile office. I was
using my pcmcia modem for Internet access until it died, then moved to an old
28.8k modem via the external serial port (ttyS0). Today I was messing around
with irDA and the gnokii program and for some reason the ir device seems to be
set as ttyS0 now instead of the serial port (done in the BIOS).
I tried the bios but there are no configurable items and looking at the
irda-utils didn't help either.

My laptop is an IBM 560X with an NSC PC87338 ir device. I remember when this
thing was running windows it had a program to turn ir on or off (and I'm
pretty sure it took the place of com1 if on). BUT I removed windows completely
cause it's only a small 4gb disk....

Any suggestions?

Later,

Jason Nicholls