[plug] C or Shell Scripts

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Jan 30 16:32:37 WST 2001

Joshua Pierre [mailto:alpha at indigo.net.au] wrote:

> Hey,
>
> It is good to know how to program and design first, then learn bash, c
> is a little more complex and can get hairy at times however you probably
> know half of bash already.
>
> - Josh

If this is going to turn into a language war then I want to say my little
bit about python, which I am surprised that no one has mentioned. Python is
a very straight forward easy to learn, easy to program with language with
very good tutorials for people just starting on learning to program. But I
am kind of biased because I really love the language and find it syntax
great. It also has good OS modules as well as support f0r regular
expressions so it is to do the same things as with shell scripts with the
advantage that you can even extend them further beyond just a simple script
into a full fledged app if you want.

If you look through this mail list archives you sae lots of people asking
the question "What is the purpose for your program?". This in essence will
dictate the language required. If you are wanting to learn shell scripting
because you have a specific requirement such as it being required for a
particular position with a company then by all means invest the time. If you
want to be a developer and plan to write full fledged apps one day then you
are better of trying to learn one of the other languages like c, c++, Java
or Python.

To look at it another way think of the languages as follows:

For Sys Admin type jobs

Shell scripts
sed
awk
perl
python

For full blown development work

c (particularly kernel hacking)
c++
java
python

Finally a good understanding of programming techniques, design strategies,
the essentials of a program etc will hold you in good steed regardless af
what you choose. Basically all programs are written using the same
techniques (like iteration, controlled execution, math, output etc). What
the different languages give you are strengths in certain areas and
duigffent syntax by which to write them in. (Ok that is kind of simplified
so don't flame me for it).

Michael Hunt
West Africa