[plug] C or Shell Scripts

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 31 08:05:53 WST 2001

on Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:11:13AM +1000, Phillip Steege <psteege at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > It really depends on what you want to get out of it in the end.
> >
> > -Greg Mildenhall
>
> What I want in the end is to understand my Linux system better.  I don't
> understand the many scripts I see in my system directories.  I thought if I
> learned how to write some, it would help.
> I also want to learn to program but do not know which language to start.

Im not sure (ba)sh would be a good language to learn programming from
but it will help you understand many of your systems scripts and you
will work better at the command line.

csh programming is considered harmfull - see

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot.html

As for a starting language, mmm. C is good, a little difficult but
many of the programs you compile on your linux system are written in
C.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065