[plug] upgrading to Duron

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Jul 2 09:00:17 WST 2001

	I hope that it has the newer via chipset. Otherwise, you cannot get
the FSB above 106 Mhz :(

	From:	Shoobs <shoobs at shoobs.com> on 30-06-2001 10:18 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] upgrading to Duron

	I have recently bought a 1Ghz Athlon (266Mhz FSB) and i look around
at a
	lot of reviews for boards. I ended up buying a MSI K7T Turbo which
is a
	very nice board. In a recent pc at uthority mag it scrored 6/6 for
every
	aspect. I highly recommend this board.

	At 08:55 PM 30/06/2001 +0800, you wrote:
	>I have the KT7A-Raid and I am very happy with it. Have been running
it for
	>the last 3 months or so. It is a very good board and had 4 ide port
so you
	>can put 8 IDE drives into it. All in all it is a very nice board.
	>
	>Christian
	>
	> >
	> > > I want a Duron and motherboard as I have the rest ready to go.
I'm
	> > > looking for some advice on:
	> > > 1) What speed chip to buy.  Of course higher is better, but I
remember
	> > > reading that there was an increase in FSB speed between two
models.
	> > >  Anyone know what I am talking about?
	> >
	> > Darrell
	> >
	> > I have a Duron 850 Abit KT7 combination as suggested by Scott.
Both the
	> > board and the
	> > chip are well priced.
	> > And as suggested I bought extra RAM with the money I saved.
	> >
	> > This board also supports the the 266Mhz core in the Athalon
Thunderbird
	> > if you have the
	> > dosh to go that way later.
	> > If thats what you mean about the different FSB speeds.  The
Duron only
	> > comes in the 200Mhz flavour.
	> >
	> > Has been running about 2 months I'm pretty happy with it.
	> >
	> >
	> > Mark
	> >
	> >
	> >
	> >
	> > > 2) What motherboard I should buy, but I should be asking which
chipset
	> > > works best with Linux?
	> > > 3) Anyone had any problems/gotchas using AMD chips/chipsets?
	> > >
	> > > Hope someone can help.
	> > >
	> > > Regards
	> > >
	> > > Darrell

the system manager.