[plug] Open Office worth a look.

Mark marks at omninet.net.au
Sun Jul 1 10:55:30 WST 2001

Hi all

Have be using the latest build of Open Office 632,  on offer from
openoffice.org.

For any one who has not had a look recently it could be worth a try.

Printing is now possible at least with the linux binary. Setup for Fax
printer
and PDF converter is simple via the old spadmin tool form Star Office.

The font importer run from the print manager seems to work okay to
I was able to import a couple of hundred TTF afm Type1 and Ghostscript
fonts.
TTf still don't appear on screen quite the way they should but this is
possibly more to do
with my Mandrake 8 setup.
The printed output looks the same to me.
This overcomes my wife's main objection to Star Office so I may
not need to shell out for win4lin after all.

It will also open those enormous crapy excl price lists on offer from
many of the Perth
computer hardware wholesalers at the moment that SO5.2 chokes on.

Cheers

Mark