[plug] Open Office (and Excel)

Leon Brooks leonb at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Jul 11 16:47:08 WST 2001

Mark wrote:

> Have be using the latest build of Open Office 632,  on offer from
> openoffice.org.

Will be picking up an even later build in six days, and am prepared to
burn if requested.

> It will also open those enormous crapy excl price lists on offer from
> many of the Perth computer hardware wholesalers at the moment that

> SO5.2 chokes on.

xl2html is your friend. Usually.

I've never had much problem with DMA's monster price lists (with
graphics!) in SO 5.2 other than it being bog slow, but I guess it's the
same in Excel unless you happen to be a hardware wholesaler and run at
least 1/2GB of RAM in every desktop.

One eye-opener I ran into at a printing business was people shipping
them print designs in Excel. Barf? I nearly choked! But apparently one
of the Mac layout programs is able to deal with this.