My Matrox bitch.. was [plug] Unsubscirbe

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Jul 4 15:18:25 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         Id like to see the DVD acceleration working under Linux on the G400
>
>         That would rock

They can't even get it working under windows.. I don't see them getting it running
under linux in a hurry..

>         Ya, there seems to be a bit of cashing in on Linux, with companies
> selling stuff based on Linux that aint quite right......
>
>         How hard can it be?
>
>         Is 3D acceleration under xinerama technically impossible or are they
> just slack? Will I get 3D support under windows?

It's only possible on the 1st head.. Under windows, you can dualhead and have 3d on
the 1st head.. under linux, you must drop to singlehead mode to load the 3d drivers..
There are some other limitations on the 2nd head.. like it can only be 16 or 32 bit
from memory.. and I think there is a refresh rate limitation.. but it's not a problem.
What IS a problem is 2 17 inch monitors sittng next to each other with the refresh
rates so close they beat against each other.. Can you say "Eye Strain" ?
Thats probably not a problem on the dualhead card, only on my machine in the office
which has 2 different matrox cards in it, so the clocks are not in sync.
If I had one more pci slot.. or could afford another dualhead AGP card, I'd have a 3
head setup..
I can tell you it takes a decent roll of the trackball to span 3 heads in one go :p)
I'm not using xinerama either.. Just 2 displays :0.0 & :0.1.
Window maker handles this nicely..

On another note.. I have been playing with my FlyVideo 98 card to transfer some old
VHS I have to VCD, and with a seagate 5400rpm 40 gig drive.. under windows mind you.
(Only just downloaded broadcast 2000) I can capture 25fps at 640x480 with YUV4:2:2
color with 0 dropped frames.. Now all I need is to get my fm801 sound card working
properly under linux, or buy a decent card and I can do this under linux..

This is on a KT7-RAID (Not the A, the original KT7 100Mhz) with a Duron 700

I figure if I can do this under windows.. and this is striping into 2gb files to get
around the fat32 limitation of 4gb files.. I should muck it in under linux..

Sustained Write transfer rate is 11MB/S. I'm pretty impressed with that for an ide
controller and windows..

45 Mins of vid/sound is 30GB.. takes a while to compress :p)

--
Brad....
                   /"\