[plug] Remote mail query/idea

Daniel B cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 4 19:21:49 WST 2001

Hi Brad and Plug, given that I'm still a few old fashioned miles behind the
rest of you guys with Linux - what do you think of the following?
Use an MTA that supports Maildir format which is meant to be better for
large files and recover better from broken transmission or shutdowns.  I
read that Maildir achieves this by using a single file for each
e-mail.  Rsync may be nearly perfect, but not quite and besides it could
take some time to figure out what needs to be changed in a big
file.  Perhaps file compare would be a lot quicker and not risk that chance
of error.  I am not sure if there are any add-ons for fetchmail for
maildir, but think Qmail does it natively.  If I  remember correctly the
beautiful Evolution and quite proven Balsa support Maildir.
Just my thoughts - how did I do?
Regards,
Daniel.