[plug] Compiling kernal problem.

Ambrose Scafidi scafidi at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 4 10:54:21 WST 2001

Howdy all,
         Just attempted my first kernal compilation. Running RH7.0 from on
of the APC cover disks, I needed to "turn on" the NTFS support.... anyway a
couple of minutes into the process of the compile it halted with the
following error;

/* Big snip */
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/boot'
kgcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -E -traditional
-DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bootsect.s
as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
make[1]: as86: Command not found
make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2
[root at Penguin linux]#

I assume it is the absence of the program "as86". What is it? Why would it
not be present? and where can I find it?

As a side question, if I only wanted to enable a single option, such as the
NTFS support, how could I simply compile it as an individual module, and
implement it however, without the whole compile procedure?

In Zeros and Ones,
         Ambrose.