[plug] Mandrake 8 - Gnome

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 11 09:39:28 WST 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Chris Andre wrote:

> Has anyone experienced any problems with setting up the gnome ppp dialler
> under Mandrake 8.0 ?

 Why bother? With most ISPs supporting PAP, you dont need the old
username/password/ppp scripts, just a couple of commands for your modem.
  If you are using Linux, then dont you want to see how things work,
(or more importantly - dont work) ? Rather than being hidden behind
redundant layers and GUIs.
  Its very easy to put the pppd options in /etc/ppp/peers/<my-name>, then
call pppd from the command line, or desktop menu. Start with a couple of
examples, and maybe browse the man page.

  What do you gain by extra layers? (I'd like to know please - that isnt a
rhetorical question ;)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--