[plug] en_GB kde i18n

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Sun Jul 15 11:22:15 WST 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 10:55:57AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> Thomas
> Diehl who runs the whole i18n show made me change email to E-Mail due to
> there being an inconsistency with spelling it like e-mail, Email etc.)

That sounds very dubious. I'm not sure what basis you're deciding
these things on, but if you're trying to do what a good dictionary
would do, you'll decide the dominant spelling on the basis of how
widely used it is, and will allow variants if they are also widely
used. Searching on google, I find (in the "of about" figure):

email:
www.google.com: 81 200 000
groups.google.com: 26 100 000

e-mail:
www.google.com: 6 840 000
groups.google.com: 4 390 000

That would suggest:
1) email is the dominant spelling
2) e-mail should also be allowed as a widely-used variant

On what basis is Thomas suggesting that "e-mail" should be considered
dominant?

Colin