[plug] .bashrc problem

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Jul 16 12:02:41 WST 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Mark Bailey wrote:

> When I log in at a console on the box itself or
> remotely using putty and type alias it returns
> nothing. Yet if I type alias in a terminal window
> while in Gnome I get the expected list of aliases
> displayed.

.bashrc is only read in when bash is run as a "non-login shell"

For login shells, it reads .bash_profile instead.

An easy fix is to put all your aliases in .bashrc (as you have done)
and then add "source ~/.bashrc" to the top of your .bash_profile

(you can even replace "source" with a single ".")

See the bash manpage for more info on login shells et al.

 - Matt