[plug] .bashrc problem

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 16 12:29:37 WST 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Mark Bailey wrote:
>When I log in at a console on the box itself or
>remotely using putty and type alias it returns
>nothing. Yet if I type alias in a terminal window
>while in Gnome I get the expected list of aliases
>displayed.

Logging in via the console or an SSH/telnet connection gives you a "login
shell" - you can create one yourself by starting bash as "bash --login"

There are more details towards the top of the bash manpage, but basically,
bash looks at different files depending upon whether it's a login shell or
not. Of a particular interest to you would be the fact that .bashrc isn't
executed by a login shell :)

HTH

--
Andrew Francis