[plug] Laptop Compatibility

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Jul 16 17:35:26 WST 2001

G'day again..

Had an idea this morning..
My laptop is in for repair, coz the smoke get away.. and while
using a loan machine, I stumbled across the idea of a boot/run
linux CD for the testing of laptops for hardware compatibility.

The idea being a filesystem with all possible compiled kernel
modules, plus the known extras.. like ltmodem and pcmcia.
a full multi-driver xfree, plus the usual PCI utils for identifying
what hardware is on board.

I'm sure there is something like this out there, I have not looked
much at all, but it's probably something to think about if your in
the market for a new laptop.

After buying mine and spending 2 days hacking the sound hardware
to get it to work.. it would have been easier to be able to
walk into the shop, pop a cd in.. do an lspci, then insmod the
right drivers and test it all without disturbing the ever precious
windows installation on the hard disk..
You could then fork over the multiple $k confident that your new
tool would do all you require of it.

Workable ? Somebody has already done it ?

--
Brad....
                   /"\