[plug] RE: Feedback: [newbie] Helping The Mandrake folks with feedback

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 16:06:15 WST 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Russell Hobman wrote:

> > Goodaye John, I have just bought a Mandrake 8.0 PowerPak and have been
> > reading the documentation on how to set it up on my PC. I have a few
> > suggestions for the documentation as I have written below as I am still
> > confused over how to set up some aspects of Linux.
> >
> > 1. the setup menu could do with an option for a single user/desktop PC
> > environment.

Agreed

> > 2. the instructions to make and use a boot floppy disk are unclear.

Ok again.

> > 3. it is not clear how to set up raid and reiserfs over two HDD's

I don't think that works anyway (raid + reiserfs). Anyway, raid is
definitely not something I would recommend to any beginner, so try
something smaller first.

> > 4. I am planning to run windows under M8 through win4lin, not a dual boot
> > system - do I still need fat32 partitions?
> > 5. if I install windows through win4lin/linux do they make use of fat32 or
> > reiserfs format?

Read the win4lin documentation.

> > 6. does the reiserfs and raid work with windows files in this case or just
> > native M8?
> > 7. can windows running under win4lin read windows programs/files installed
> > on Linux partitions or other fat 32 disk?

Read the win4lin documentation

> > 8. the naming convention for Linux partitions/directories is unclear.
> > i.e.. is Boot the same as Root?

For all intents and puposes yes

> > 9. it is unclear on the space to allocate to each partition for Linux to
> > operate satisfactory and what space left to install other software.

While more documentation on this might be useful, you might as well use
only 1 or 2 partitions on a home computer since you don't have external
users filling partitions up.

> > 10. can Mandrake 8 boot automatically for me after a power failure or do I
> > have to be right there to set everything up again?

Have lilo autoboot mandrake and make sure the bios is set to power the
computer up (after power failure). Some motherboards do not have this bios
options, while others require a bios flash to do so.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au