[plug] OT: Perth SPAM

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jul 20 15:29:07 WST 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> > > Ah. So we have another qualified lawyer on the mailing list.
> > >
> > > You must be, giving legal advice (otherwise, that's an offence, isn't it, and,
> > > you could be liable for any wrong advice, couldn't you?).
> > >
> > > Where does the caller ID come into it? Fax machines are usually programmed
> > > (likewise with software), to either display, or, not display, the phone line
> > > number of the sending fax. Therefore, the number can be withheld.
> > >
> > > Also, tracing the call, if it is not done when the call is made, may be
> > > impossible, may it not? No doubt, being the qualified telecom technician that
> > > you obviously are (giving technical advice on the operations of telecom), you
> > > can explain how a call is traced, after the connection is terminated.
> > >
> > > And, what is the crime?
> > >
> > > Are crimes not different to misdemeanors (since you are giving (qualified?)
> > > legal advice)?
> > >
> > >   --
> > >
> > > Bret Busby

> > > "So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the answer means."
> > >  - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
> > >  - Douglas Adams, 1988
> > >

> > Sometimes this list is like reading slashdot.org. Depressing, agonizing,
> > the feeling that the world has gone to hell, and that everyone is really
> > really stupid :-(
> >
> > The internet seems to bring out the worst in people, I am glad I don't
> > have to live on it
> > Beau Kuiper
> > kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
>
> So, you cannot justify the professional advice that you gave.
>
> Good.
>
> Now we have that clarified.

Hi Bret,

How is it going in Bretworld, where you need to be a lawyer to know what
is wrong and right. Where anybody can do anything because there was no
lawyer around to tell them it was wrong. Where telstra doesn't keep any
records at all, and where it is assumed that you know everything

Call me when you get into the real world :-P
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au