[plug] Losing Mouse control in X

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Jul 20 21:22:14 WST 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:37:22PM +0800, Arkem wrote:
> I'm having problems keeping control over my mouse in X, I have read the
> archives and did learn quite a bit from the previous thread on this topic but
> none of the solutions helped me any. I occasionly lose control of my mouse and
> it will go randomly (though often to the top right corner) and it will start
> clicking and windows start minimising its a quite annoying habit making X
> nearly ununsable to me.

I used to have a similar problem (my mouse would sometimes act as
described when I switched from a virtual console back to X), but
no one was ever able to explain what caused the trouble.

I eventually solved it by upgrading gpm to a newer version and
using it entirely.  It seemed to only ever cause troubles when
multiple applications used to mouse -- as if one using the data
stream would somehow cause the other to lose sync.

Are you, by any chance, running anything else that might be
accessing the mouse port directly (not through gpm)?  Perhaps an
svga game or something similar?